07 November 2012

Making It Happen

I remember one of the most famous questions teachers - even parents and relatives - are fond of asking us in our childhood years.

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

Answers of kids would go like:

"When I grow up, I want to be an astronaut!"

"I want to be an engineer!"

"I want to be a scientist!"

"I want to be a superhero!"

P.S. One of the statements below was the one I used to answer when I was a kid. Can you guess which one?

As children during our time, we can't help but dream very big. Whether it's the profession that we choose to become, or the toys that we want to possess, the sky's the limit for us to make the most of what we have.


Fast forward to today, as a 22-year young "kid".





Some people today may have pursued their childhood dreams, unless if reading a comic book would help them become a superhero (who knows!). Some people may not follow their goals of the past, but they have found themselves in another career which they find pleasure doing. For some, maybe the best of their lives is yet to come.

As for me, my pursuit of becoming a scientist maybe fading, as I have found a career worth doing at present. But that doesn't mean my childhood dream has been ruled out from my life's ambitions.

Now that I've found something I'm comfortable at doing - and soon profitable - a goal of mine to be an internet writing sensation will be realized. Provided that I just set my eyes on the prize and plan my day to day activities on what to write and what to share to the world with my wisdom and everyday experiences.


We have some things worth chasing. These are our goals in life.



Growing up to who we want to be is one goal.

Each one of us has goals in mind. Dreams that we want to fulfill in our lives. Not just for our personal benefit, but for the satisfaction of the most important people in our lives, and also to God who provides them all.


A goal to enjoy your dream vacation around the world.

A goal to buy your own house and dream car.

A goal to send your kids to the best colleges in the country.

A goal to run your own business.

A goal to enjoy a comfortable - and abundant - retirement.


Our goals would come in different shapes and sizes. As you examine these goals, answer these important questions as it can guide you whether this is really what you want or need in life:


  • WHY do you want this goal/dream/ambition?
  • WHO will benefit from it?
  • WHEN do you expect to see the goal achieved?
  • WHAT and HOW do you plan to make it come true?
  • WHAT happens if you don't achieve it? HOW will you make up for it?

If your answers are big enough to define your goals, no one is stopping you from going for them, even if it takes you a lifetime.

In goal setting, always remember that it is not enough to keep them in mind. As much as possible, write them, place it in an area situated to where you are more likely to see it everyday to serve as a reminder on what you are expected to do for today.

Most importantly, do something about it to make them happen. Make a plan.


Never be afraid to ask questions on getting to your destination. Preferably, ask people who have been there, done that, and as much as possible succeeded in the endeavor you are in. Seek help in any form - mentors, books, seminars - in order to guide you in where you are going and what you want in life.


When you are convinced with the plan you have in order to achieve your goals, should there be any reason to hesitate in taking action?


Friend, make it happen. You never know how much time you got left before you realize you just ran out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment